Reporting to the Communications and Storytelling Senior Manager and supporting the Marketing Associate, the Communications Associate plays a key role in the success of the communications strategy for the American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN). The role includes developing communications content — including drafting press releases, op-eds, blog posts, media advisories, pitch emails, grant proposals, social media content, creating supporting graphics and images, managing ASBN’s social media channels, supporting media outreach, and tracking earned media coverage — maintaining the press page of ASBN’s website, developing strategies to advocate and disseminate ASBN’s message to local, state and national audiences, and measuring the impact of those strategies. The Communications Associate uses the lens of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout all of their activities and in alignment with the organization’s mission, vision, and principles.
Media and Public Relations
- Develop and strengthen media relationships with journalists reporting on business, environmental, social and political issues
- Create copy for media outreach/pitching, pitch journalists on ASBN’s ongoing policy areas, campaigns and events, develop pitch ideas and media outreach plans, and build media list
- Ensure placement of ASBN in well-known and diverse state and national outlets
- Identify storytelling opportunities that elevate ASBN’s policy areas, membership, and organizational goals
- Work with Membership, Policy and Development teams to craft narratives and pitches for specific issue areas and public policy goals
Writing and Editing
- Work with the Communications and Storytelling Senior Manager to research and write ASBN press releases and statements
- Publish statements, press releases, op-eds, blogs and other public-facing collateral on ASBN’s website and social media channels
- Work with the Development team on grant writing, as it relates to communications deliverables for funders; be able to work in a deadline driven environment for grant deliverables and reporting.
- Develop the ASBN blog, including cadence for our publishing, guest writing, members interviews and storytelling, and our distribution channels
Social Media Management
- Coordinate social media accounts by drafting and posting scheduled content to ASBN’s Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Identify members, partners, business leaders, policymakers, investors, journalists and advocate groups for ASBN to follow and engage with
- Collaborate on Revamp ASBN’s social media strategy with emphasis on growing social media presence, followers, and engagement
- Establish differentiating voice for ASBN across social media channels and develop content specific to that audience
- Create posts that encourage audiences to engage with and participate in sign-on letters, events, campaigns and other information shared on ASBN’s website
- Manage social media calendar to provide communications support for events, membership, policy and advocacy activities and campaigns.
- Compile a monthly social media report that shares analytics, insights and recommendations for improvement for all social media channels
- Utilize Canva to create original branded images to complement posts
Outstanding writing and editing; media relations; ability to navigate with evolving signals and incomplete information; careful and inclusive listening; project management; team leadership; equal abilities to discern and disarm threats while realizing opportunities; spirit of collaboration, with internal and external stakeholders; an expert understanding of social media analytics and ability to offer recommendations to improve social media posts, engagement and presence.
- Senior Manager, Communications and Storytelling
- F/T Position
- 20 Days of PTO/Sick Annually
- 403b Retirement Plan with 4% Match
How to Apply:
- Send cover letter, resume, contact information for three references (phone and email) to: email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but ASBN encourages prospective candidates to apply immediately.
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is a movement builder in partnership with the business and investor community. ASBN develops and advocates solutions for policymakers, business leaders, and investors that support an equitable, regenerative, and just economy that benefits all—people and planet. As a multi-issue, membership organization advocating on behalf of every business sector, size, and geography, ASBN and its association members collectively represent over 250,000 businesses across our networks. ASBN was founded through the merger of the American Sustainable Business Council and Social Venture Circle.
ASBN believes that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion must be at the foundation for how we conduct ourselves, our public policy advocacy, and our businesses and investment activity, as we cultivate and grow our community and programs. With clear intent and earnest effort, we will engage our community, and seek leaders in the field to ensure that our impact matches our vision.
ASBN is a small team, operating in a predominantly remote environment. We understand there are challenges to working remotely, and we work with each team member to find reasonable solutions when those challenges arise. We are a highly collaborative and supportive team that emphasizes communication, creativity, integrity, accountability, problem solving, and personal well-being. ASBN’s mission is to inform, connect, and mobilize business leaders and investors to transform the public and private sectors toward a just and sustainable economy and we seek a new team member who is passionate about building a sustainable economy that is stakeholder-driven, regenerative, just, and prosperous for all.
Equal Opportunity Employer
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. ASBN does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability (including HIV status), veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and terminations and applies to all ASBN employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.