Non-Profit Controller (Full-Time)
The American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is seeking an experienced Non-Profit Controller to manage our accounting and financial operations. The Controller will report to the Executive Vice President of Finance and HR and will be responsible for overseeing the financial reporting, budgeting, and internal controls of the organization. This will include federal grant accounting, payments and reimbursement management, and compliance. The Controller will be responsible for hiring and managing one direct report and setting up processes as needed.
Principal responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and present financial reports to the senior leadership team
- Develop and maintain the organization’s budget
- Oversee the organization’s accounting and financial operations
- Oversee AR, AP accounts including payment processors, insurance, retirement, investments and other financial accounts
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local financial regulations, including those related to federal grant accounting and payments management, tax-related compliance, and compliance related to the organization’s corporate status
- Oversee fiscally sponsored organizations, releasing funds, ensuring compliance and proper and timely communication with the organizations
- Run monthly payroll
- Manage payment processors, including Stripe
- Manage bank accounts, execute deposits, ACH activity, and other account-related maintenance
- Hire and manage one direct report
- Work with external accountants and auditors to ensure that the organization’s financial records are accurate and compliant
- Develop and implement internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets
- Report to the Executive Vice President of Finance and HR
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- CPA or other relevant professional certification
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role in a non-profit organization
- Strong understanding of non-profit accounting and financial management principles
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with accounting software, specifically Quickbooks is required
- Experience with payment platforms, specifically Stripe is required
- Experience with federal grant accounting, payment and reimbursement management is required
- Experience with tax-related and corporate status compliance is required
- Experience in setting up processes in a start-up environment
- Experience in supervising and mentoring staff
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and remotely
- Highly organized
- Technologically savvy
Required Tech Competencies
- Google Suite
- Baseline knowledge of CRM databases, digital policy action platforms and email marketing platforms
Preferred Tech Competencies
- Salsa Engage
- Executive Vice President, Finance and HR
- F/T Position (Occasional travel will be required)
- Unlimited PTO
- 403b Retirement Plan with 4% Match
How to Apply:
- Send cover letter, resume, contact information for three references (phone and email) to: email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but ASBN encourages prospective candidates to apply immediately.
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is a movement builder in partnership with the business and investor community. ASBN develops and advocates solutions for policymakers, business leaders, and investors that support an equitable, regenerative, and just economy that benefits all—people and planet. As a multi-issue, membership organization advocating on behalf of every business sector, size, and geography, ASBN and its association members collectively represent over 250,000 businesses across our networks. ASBN was founded through the merger of the American Sustainable Business Council and Social Venture Circle.
ASBN believes that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion must be at the foundation for how we conduct ourselves, our public policy advocacy, and our businesses and investment activity, as we cultivate and grow our community and programs. With clear intent and earnest effort, we will engage our community, and seek leaders in the field to ensure that our impact matches our vision.
ASBN is a small team, operating in a predominantly remote environment. We understand there are challenges to working remotely, and we work with each team member to find reasonable solutions when those challenges arise. We are a highly collaborative and supportive team that emphasizes communication, creativity, integrity, accountability, problem solving, and personal well-being. ASBN’s mission is to inform, connect, and mobilize business leaders and investors to transform the public and private sectors toward a just and sustainable economy and we seek a new team member who is passionate about building a sustainable economy that is stakeholder-driven, regenerative, just, and prosperous for all.
Equal Opportunity Employer
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. ASBN does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability (including HIV status), veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and terminations and applies to all ASBN employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.