Executive Vice President, Public Policy and Advocacy
ASBN is seeking a highly motivated sustainable business and investor-focused public policy professional as our EVP of Public Policy and Advocacy. This candidate ideally has worked at the intersection of public policy, sustainable business, responsible investing, and progressive movement building. This role will work with the CEO and President to develop and implement the organization’s sustainable business focused legislative, regulatory, and advocacy strategies. This role will, alongside the President, take lead on shaping overall policy focus for the organization and design and implement policy-oriented campaigns suitable for business engagement.
This role also works directly with companies, investors and business organizations to identify opportunities and partnerships to advance priority issues and maintain and build our legislator relationship to impact policy outcomes. This role will ensure strong ASBN working relationships on Capitol Hill to advance sustainable business priorities in Congress and across the federal suite of agencies.
This role will regularly communicate with ASBN members through our working groups, and collaborate with the membership and marketing/communications teams to ensure brand success through traditional and social media channels. The EVP of Public Policy and Advocacy will manage the policy team and is responsible for seamless communication, workflow management, and deadline and priority setting.
Public Policy Strategy
- Collaborate with senior leadership team on overall strategic planning and do deep work with the strategy team to ensure public policy and advocacy priorities are reflected and integrated in organizational roadmap
- Design and implement campaign strategies and approaches that will secure a “win” on priority issues
- Collaborate with communications team to create highly visible and impactful earned media
Ensure ASBN as a premier national business advocacy group by:
- Representing ASBN on Capitol Hill, Federal Agencies and other policy maker offices
- Seeking out and creating events to advance ASBN priority issues (e.g. ‘fly-ins’, working directly on legislation, offering testimony, business roundtables, and other political engagement opportunities throughout the year)
- Working in partnership with our state affiliates and allies to advance state and regional campaigns and policy initiatives
- Directly oversee policy team
- Delegate, track, and balance workloads among the team
- Positively support team workflow and lead the policy team in developing, reporting, and achieving their KROs
- Maintain a positive, collaborative, and productive workplace culture
- Be able to diligently track and regularly report progress and achievement in public policy engagement
- Experience working in smaller organizations and ability to contribute to meaningful process design and execution, both internally and externally
- 4-6 years of experience in issue campaigns and/or a policy-related field, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Existing Relationships on Capitol Hill
- Capacity to identify emerging public policy issues throughout a diverse stakeholder network and develop innovative solutions
- Adept at establishing and managing strategic partnerships and coalitions
- Ability to self-direct time management, and produce periodic internal reporting of progress
- Ability to understand political dynamics, the concerns of different constituencies, and how to motivate members to engage in the policy process
- Collaborative, team player, self-motivated, creative problem solver, and able to manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to craft clear and compelling ‘action alerts,’ as well as longer, well-researched fact sheets, policy briefs, reports, etc.
- Solid knowledge base of business sustainability issues,
- Able to travel periodically
Required Tech Competencies
- Google Suite
- Baseline knowledge of CRM databases, digital policy action platforms and email marketing platforms
Preferred Tech Competencies
- Fiscal Note
- Microsoft 365 (Sharepoint)
- Adobe CS
- Salsa Engage
- Washington, DC Metro Area-Based (primarily remote, but proximity to DC Metro Area is required)
- F/T Position (Some travel will be required)
- 20 Days of PTO/Sick Annually
- 403b Retirement Plan with 4% Match
How to Apply:
- Send cover letter, resume, contact information for three references (phone and email) to: email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but ASBN encourages prospective candidates to apply immediately.
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is a movement builder in partnership with the business and investor community. ASBN develops and advocates solutions for policymakers, business leaders, and investors that support an equitable, regenerative, and just economy that benefits all—people and planet. As a multi-issue, membership organization advocating on behalf of every business sector, size, and geography, ASBN and its association members collectively represent over 250,000 businesses across our networks. ASBN was founded through the merger of the American Sustainable Business Council and Social Venture Circle.
ASBN believes that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion must be at the foundation for how we conduct ourselves, our public policy advocacy, and our businesses and investment activity, as we cultivate and grow our community and programs. With clear intent and earnest effort, we will engage our community, and seek leaders in the field to ensure that our impact matches our vision.
ASBN is a small team, operating in a predominantly remote environment. We understand there are challenges to working remotely, and we work with each team member to find reasonable solutions when those challenges arise. We are a highly collaborative and supportive team that emphasizes communication, creativity, integrity, accountability, problem solving, and personal well-being. ASBN’s mission is to inform, connect, and mobilize business leaders and investors to transform the public and private sectors toward a just and sustainable economy and we seek a new team member who is passionate about building a sustainable economy that is stakeholder-driven, regenerative, just, and prosperous for all.
Equal Opportunity Employer
American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN) is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. ASBN does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability (including HIV status), veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and terminations and applies to all ASBN employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.